Saturday, March 21, 2009

I'd like to open a dialogue on whether or not a child should learn to read very young (ages 3-5).  I was of the old school of thought that this was too early.  However my thoughts are changing after teaching Kindergarteners to read.  I have also been reading Thomas Friedman's books and have been thinking about what it will take for us as a nation to become leaders again.  If we get the task of reading out of the way early, we can then focus on technology and science instruction and get our schools back on track!

2 comments:

  1. Is it your district's expectation that every child reads by the time they leave kindergarten?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, our district would like to see all children leaving kindergarten with a DRA level of at least 3. I'll post an example of the text on my blog for those not familiar with DRA.

    ReplyDelete